Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Great Debate: Christianity and Halloween


It's such a huge topic of debate to Christians.

{Do you celebrate Halloween as a Christian?}

I understand both sides of the argument.
I grew up in a home that chose not to celebrate it. As a child, I didn't know the difference and I never felt as though I was missing out on anything. My mom and dad were wonderful, and gave us movie and treat night at home. It was fun for us. They felt as Christian parents it was not the right thing to be exposing their children to, or celebrating.

The roots of Halloween or "Hollows Eve" are not "creepy". It was began as an act to wish the souls of the departed a chance to get into Heaven. Through the years it has become a goulish holiday and quite scary.

Trick or treating even began in the Medieval days when the poor would go door to door asking for food.

Today, trick or treating and celebrating Halloween has become a huge affair. My husband and I, being fully devoted to the Lord, have thought it to be ok to have our kids dress up and go trick or treating. I will not allow my kids to dress in devilish costumes or really scary costumes. That is a personal choice we have made. We think that keeping it about candy and costumes is great.

I will even admit that it has quickly become one of my favorite days of the year. I LOVE seeing all the cute kids dressed up in the fairy, princess, football, and firefighter costumes. I love watching the kids eat candy, and hearing my boys say "trick or treat". It's adorable!

It's sad to me that there is so much debate and hostility. The church should be unified. This is not to say that each Christian should agree on everything. But we should never choose to tear each other down for one's belief on a "non salvation" issue.

This is our choice as Christian parents. I know you may or may not agree with my stance. But I do know this....you'll agree that my kids are cute in their costumes!!

My lost boys.


My "best costume" award winner. Tinkerbell.
{I forgot her glitter shirt in this pic. Super cute naked Tink}






Linking up with Soleil Selene for Grow Your Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment